Built in 1958 Our Lady of Loretto School was the first parochial school in Northern Marin. The parish was sixty-two years old when the school was opened. Several pastors and many parishioners saw their dreams reach fruition on September 3, 1958, when Our Lady of Loretto School opened its doors. Heading the staff were the Ursuline Sisters: Mother Mary William, principal, also taught third grade, Mother Florence, was the first grade teacher, and Miss Nita Webb, was the second grade teacher.
The present church and rectory were built in 1962. Up to that time, Mass was celebrated in the parish hall and in the original church on Grant Avenue. The school opened with 140 students in grades one through three. The fifth parochial school in the county, Our Lady of Loretto School expanded to a fourth grade in its second year of operation, and continued adding a new grade each year until 1965 when the school served students in grades one to eight. In 1992, due to increasing request, a kindergarten program was added.
The current average class size is 28 students. The school offers a full-day Kindergarten program, which affords an excellent teacher-to-student ratio. Grades 1 through 3 have part-time aides during the morning when core skills are taught. Grades 6 through 8 are departmentalized by subject and form a strong Middle School program which supports both the academic and developmental needs of its students.
Our Lady of Loretto School continues to be the only Catholic elementary school in the town of Novato, and carries a very proud tradition within the community. A faculty of dedicated, credentialed lay teachers currently serves at Our Lady of Loretto School. The school is grounded in Catholic teaching & morality, and serves both the parish & local community.